Where did I originally find this list of rules? I don't know. It's on my computer, and it just entered my line of vision again. Maybe this is a sign that I...am overly stressed? Overly BLEH? That it's time to check myself before I wreck myself? Anyway, here they are...what do you think?
Common Sense Rules For Mental Health
There are a few simple rules which can be depended upon to help you develop habits of thinking and acting that will safeguard mental and emotional health:
1. Waste no time in looking backward. Concentrate on plans for the future.
2. Learn to get your satisfaction out of simple daily accomplishments. A row of beautifully white clothes on the line may be just as satisfying as a burst of applause over the footlights.
3. If you cannot change an unsatisfactory situation, face the fact and make the best of it. Don't wear yourself out "beating your wings against the walls life's duties have imposed."
4. Try to distinguish between the things you want and the things you really need. Often when you have attained your heart's desire you find that it isn't as important as you had thought. Learn to deny yourself little things for the sake of bigger ones. If you weight what you want today against what you know you must have later on, you will probably decide in favor of that which has the more permanent value and get greater satisfaction out of the experience in the long run.
5. Cultivate the spirit of tolerance. Try to understand the point of view of other people and concede them the right to their opinions. You may not agree with them, but if you had had the same background and experience they have had, you might think and act as they do.
6. Remember that real happiness comes only through being helpful to others, so practice the golden rule.
7. Let your sense of humor grow. Learn to laugh at yourself instead of at other people. Look for the funny side of the difficulties you get into, and they will not be half so irritating.
(Image here...and I can't get my font back to regular. Hmmm.)